Web Mapping Services
The RVCA's web mapping services are available to consume in GIS (ie ArcGIS Desktop or ArcGIS Online) or your own interactive web maps. The map services can be found one of two ways. From our REST endpoint or via ArcGIS Online. Please follow the instructions below to access our data. For a full description of the ArcGIS REST API, please visit resources.arcgis.com
RVCA Digital Data:
- REST endpoint: Contains web mapping services used in the various RVCA GeoPortals, including Hazards & Regulation Mapping, Monitoring/Gauges, Drinking Water Source Protection, Hydrology, Conservation Areas, Landcover & Natural Features, Political, Imagery and Topography (Terrain)
- RVCA ArcGIS Online Map: Contains all the web mapping services listed above via our REST endpoint, but accessible from ArcGIS Online. Open ArcGIS Online and then login or click Modify Map in the top-right corner. Click the Add button and then Search for Layers. All the publicly available RVCA layers should appear and be available to add to the map. If not, search ArcGIS Online and in the Find textbox type RVCA and browse for all services published by RVCA_GIS.
Services can be readily consumed from the REST endpoint in ArcGIS Desktop by following the instructions below:
• Connect to the RVCA ArcGIS Server:
- 1. Open ArcCatalog and expand GIS Servers in the folder tree
- 2. Double-click on 'Add ArcGIS Server' to open the wizard
- 3. In the dialog box select 'Use GIS Services' and click Next
- 4. Paste the RVCA REST endpoint https://gis.rvca.ca/arcgis/rest/services into the Server URL textbox
- 5. Click Finish. Look at your folder tree, 'arcgis on gis.rvca.ca' should be listed.
- 1. Click on 'Add Data' in ArcGIS Desktop
- 2. Navigate to the GIS Servers folder and double-click 'arcgis on gis.rvca.ca'
- 3. Select the map layer(s) you are looking for and click Add
Services can be readily added from ArcGIS Online to ArcGIS Desktop by following the instructions below:
- 1. Click the drop-down arrow beside the 'Add Data' button and click 'Add Data From ArcGIS Online'
- 2. Type RVCA in the 'Search ArcGIS Online...' textbox and browse for all services published by RVCA_GIS